Laughter is the Best Medicine

Jenna - Syracuse, New York

I believe that laughter is the best medicine. I know this statement sounds cliché, but this is a true personal philosophy of mine. I believe that a daily dose of laugher is just as important as an apple a day, or a daily vitamin.

My friends know me to be someone who laughs all of the time, maybe even when it does not seem appropriate or necessary. This is because I believe that laughter makes every situation better. A good time spent with friends can always be made better with some jokes and light hearted stories. Some of the best times are spent reflecting on comical memories and anecdotes with friends and family.

Even the gravest situations can be made better with laughter. For example, laughter at a funeral might seem inappropriate. However, most people would probably rather have their loved ones remembering the best times they have had together at their funeral than see them shedding tears at their loss.

I believe that everyone enjoys a good laugh. I find that when I am in a bad mood, some comical and witty banter with friends always puts a smile on my face.

I believe that people would be much happier if they were able to find the irony in bad situations. Mistakes and embarrassing moments happen all the time. I believe that people are bound to be miserable in life if the do not learn how to laugh at themselves. A little bit of laughter helps me to remember not to take life too seriously sometimes.

I believe in the medical studies that have proven that laughter actually can, and does, improve peoples health. Laughter has been credited with helping to improve overall well-being and even increasing the longevity of peoples’ lives. Laughter causes a decrease of stress causing hormones, thus, laughter can help alleviate stress. Laughter is often a sign of relief. I believe that an intense episode of laughter can feel like a serious abdominal work out session at the gym, and be just as beneficial to ones health.

I believe that laughter is the only positive thing that is contagious. Sometimes all you need is a good laugh to make your day better. Although laughter cannot erase all of the bad things that happen in life, it is undeniable that it can lighten mood of any situation. I believe that people who laugh often will feel better both mentally and physically, and will have an improved quality of life. I truly believe that laughter is the best medicine.