I Believe Sundays Were Made for NFL Football

Evan - San Francisco, California
Themes: sports

Growing up in San Francisco, I watched history as some of the best athletes to ever play the game were just a 10 minute drive away on Sundays. Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Steve Young. I was spoiled.

Every Friday I would come home from school and get my homework done as soon as possible. Not so I can go out with my friends over the weekend, but to make sure my Sundays were free to do nothing but watch football.

It was a bonding time with “the boys”. It was the one time each week where my two brothers, my dad, and I got to sit on the same couch together and root for our beloved 49ers. My mom would serve us lunch on treys so that we didn’t have to move an inch while watching the football games. She had the biggest smile on her face all day because it was so rare to see the family enjoying time together without the stress of work or school.

Up until college, those are what my Sundays would consist of. I have some of the best memories of my life relaxing on the couch with “the boys” watching the pigskin. As I transitioned to life on my own at Syracuse University, Sundays have been brought to a whole new level.

I believe that Sundays are what men of all ages look forward to all summer long. Getting back to school means the start of NFL football and Sundays filled with doing nothing but sitting on the couch, eating lots of greasy food, and yelling at the TV. The homework is put aside, girlfriends are ignored, and sleep is sacrificed.

I don’t even need to set my alarm clock on Sundays anymore. The smell of barbeque and beer wake me up hours before the games even begin. Before kickoff it is almost impossible to walk in my apartment as people are sprawled all over my floor, at least six people are squished onto my four person couch, and friends are standing in the corner to get any glimpse of the television that they can get.

From 1:00pm through 11:00pm, I believe nothing should be on the television but football. No news, no movies, no reality shows. Whether it is two last place teams playing or the best two teams playing, it doesn’t really matter; football will be on. The sound should be on loud and the picture should be in HD to watch football all day long.

So when Sundays roll around, invite some family and friends over, grab a beer, eat some wings and put a smile on your face. Throw on some comfortable sweatpants and an old jersey of your favorite team. Turn your phone on silent and just enjoy the best sport on the face of the earth. This is what Sundays were made for.