Superbowl Sunday

Joshua - Scarsdale, New York
Themes: sports

Shopping carts filled with Tostitos, salsa, and beverages. People usually preparing to host or attend big parties ready to stuff their faces with food. Millions of dollars across the globe are on the line. An event where every person is glued to their television set whether they are a fan or not. This super day, is superbowl Sunday; the greatest day of the year. It’s the only day of the year where the flip of a coin can make you or break you. It’s the only time where you’re dying to see commercials and not fast-forward right through them. It’s the only time of the football season where fans of 28 teams are still enjoying themselves watch football that doesn’t involve their favorite team. It’s the only time you get to see a concert during a football game. For all of these reasons I believe that Superbowl Sunday is the best day of the year. That is what I believe. I believe that pizza and wings taste no better than they do on Superbowl Sunday. I believe that praying for a final score that ends in an 8 or 5 is never more exciting than it is on that first Sunday in February. It’s the only day of the year besides Good Friday that actually has a word to describe that day. That’s because this day is different. It’s super. It’s THE day for football fans, and I love every minute of it.

In my lifetime of superbowl watching I have experienced it all. I’ve witnessed failure and I’ve also experienced the victory. Not many people can say they have watched their favorite team lose and also win in the superbowl. This past year my favorite team, the New York Giants, played in the Superbowl, which made it even more exciting to watch. The feelings of excitement, nausea, uneasiness and ultimately pride and joy that I felt on last year’s Super Sunday made it one I will never forget. I’m sure nearly everyone sitting in this room today has watched the superbowl before if not multiple times. How many other events can you say this is true for? It’s a sporting event where people who are non-sports fans can still enjoy themselves. That is because Superbowl Sunday is not just another day, it’s an event. By flipping the channel to FOX on that day, you are engaging in something that everyone in the country is also viewing, yet nobody knows what the outcome will be. Sports are the only show you don’t know when it’ll end, or how. From game winning touchdown drives, to the Magic fridge and all the other funny commercials, to wardrobe malfunctions, and to seeing the Vince Lombardi trophy, the Superbowl is truly a spectacle in itself and without question is the best day of the year.