I Believe In and Out Burger

Jonathan - Valley Stream, New York

I believe in In and Out Burger. I believe in the fundamentals of quality over quantity, as well as sticking to what you know and do best. These two underlying fundamentals of In and Out Burger’s business, is what makes them the best fast food establishment in the world.

I remember the first time I was introduced to this fast food mecca. I was fourteen years old and was visiting my Uncle in California. We had just gone to see a Foo Fighters concert and were hungry for a quick bite. So my uncle decided to take us to In and Out Burger. I was blown away by the simplicity of the menu; you could either order a hamburger, a cheeseburger, fries or a shake. I had been used to going to chains like McDonald’s and Wendy’s, where I could choose from 20 different value combos. At the time, a fast food place that only offered burgers seemed feeble. But after biting into one of the tasty burgers for the first time, I was eating my words, and boy did they taste good!

In and Out Burger has been around since 1948, starting as a drive-thru hamburger stand. Their menu is still exactly the same 60 years later. This is because they pride themselves on giving customers the freshest and highest quality ingredients available. You can see that everything if fresh and made to order. Potatoes are cut in front of you into French fries, and fresh burgers are thrown on the grill, not the microwave. Fresh fast food is a hard concept to understand, but because they only offer variations of burgers, fries and drinks they have found ways to expedite the cooking process.

In and Out Burger’s menu is so small because they stick to making what they’re good at. If you want the best burger and fries that you have ever had at an affordable price, that’s quick, you head down to In and Out Burger. If you’re looking for anything else, you’re in the wrong place. Other fast food chains will throw anything they can think of into the microwave or the deep fryer just to improve their selection and increase profits. But In and Out Burger is not about the bottom line. I know this because all In and Out Burger’s are privately owned and despite the large dollar amounts that would come from going public or franchising, they plan to maintain ownership, so they can account for every burger sold. This is probably why many of you east coaster’s have never heard about or tasted this greatness.

In and Out Burger represents the last of a dying breed, back in the day when Mom and Pop shops ruled America. When work was about doing what you loved to do. When you would walk into a pizza shop and actually ordered pizza. A time before everything was about value sized. We live in a world dominated by mega corporations like McDonald’s, Starbucks and Wal-mart, who gave up caring about their customers a long time ago. In and Out Burger is one fish that won’t be swallowed, representing all the little men that still fight the good fight.

So when I’m biting into one of the juicy burgers with special sauce oozing out and dipping my fresh cut fries into ketchup, it reminds me why I believe in In and Out Burger. Not just because it is the best tasting thing I have ever had, which it is, but because it represents doing what you believe in, and not what the dollar is telling you to do. If you ever do happen to pass by an In and Out Burger, order a double-double animal style, that’s how I like them!