Could This Be The Last Time?..

Erika - USA

I believe that we should always let their loved ones know we care about them, because you never know if that will be the last time you see them.

My uncle came into town from New Mexico, about a month ago, because him and his girlfriend were fighting and got into a bad argument. He grabbed his stuff and left out the door and drove all the way to Colorado with my other uncle. When they got here they told my mom and I what happened, and that he was never going back to her. Things cooled down and about two weeks went by, when got an emergency phone call saying she was in a bad accident and she was in ICU in a hospital in Albuquerque. My uncle was full of regret and guilt, plus he was really sad because they were scared she wasn’t going to make it. Even though they were fighting and he left, he had no idea that could be his last time with her. He wishes he could have at least told her he loved her or tried to make it right instead of storming off.

For me, because of this, I always think what if I’m never going to see this person again, do they know I love them or care about them? I really hope nothing bad will happen to my friends and loved ones, but that is how I’d like to be toward people even if we disagree or argue.

One day when I got home from school I got a call on my cell phone. It was my distant friend that lived in my old home town Pueblo, Co. My friend asked me what I was doing and how I’ve been. Everything was normal except he was mad because I haven’t been keeping in touch like I promised. I didn’t feel like hearing it, because I had a bad day anyway so I cut the conversation short and didn’t let him really say anything.

The next day I did a surprise visit to my family in the town he lived in. I went to see where he was and they said he was in the hospital for attempted suicide. I had just talked to him and if he were to pass away I would regret the last conversation we had because he wasn’t aware of how much I cared about him.

Showing someone that you care about them doesn’t have to be anything big or amazing. The littlest jester can show your loved ones you love them. Nobody really knows when an accident is going to happen or if someone is going to get caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. If that person leaves from a fight out of anger, then something happened to them, the other person will never get the chance to see them again or even say sorry, just as I had witnessed.