A Simple Quote to My Beliefs

Justin - Lexington, North Carolina

I am going to attempt to discuss on what I believe, and my overall core beliefs of life. My parents didn’t know it at the time, but I was born with a type of muscular dystrophy called Progressive Peroneal Atrophy. A more familiar name used for this disease in Charcot Marie – Tooth Disease. I was not diagnosed until the age of two. It’s tough, but I feel confident that I will succeed. My goal is to become a teacher, not someone who comes in to put in their time. I want to make a difference with today’s children! Maybe I am being to idealistic but, when I did my co-op at Rowan Cabarrus Community College fall 2007, a little girl whom I had worked with, came running up to me and said, “Justin! Justin! Look! I can do it! I can do it! See?” and then proceeded to show me that she could, indeed, do what we had worked so hard on, I knew without a doubt, that teaching was the right profession for me! I will reach that milestone next year when I graduate. The only thing that I can think of that could interfere with my goal might be my health. If necessary, If needs be I can graduate in a wheelchair and I can still teach this way.

I try never to compare other individuals unless it’s in a favorable way. My prospective on growing up, were and are still today the conduct that my parents expected of me were fairly strict. If you misbehaved, you were spanked or grounded. If I sassed or smart – mouthed either of my parents, I was spanked. My parent’s never beat or abused me, but I was expected to behave. A strength that I had taken over the years was my determination. I am not a person who gives up on life easily, as this determination will carry me through. I may get knocked down, but, you had better believe that I will get up and try again. The one weakness that my friends say that I still have today is my weakness for chocolate. This shows in the way that I look at life, you know, kind of like a walking M & M. Small but Sweet. My Development of my values, are that I feel that I owe a great deal of thanks to Davidson County Community College and my adoptive family, for instilling in me the values that are essential to being a productive individual. They have taught me never to lie, steal, or speak ill of anyone, and that there wasn’t anything in this life that I couldn’t do If I tried hard enough. I think the value or belief that has had the most significant influence in my life is one that my grandmother taught me and it has a biblical base. It basically says that you should treat others the way that you want to be treated. I have found that if you treat others with respect, love, and kindness, never expecting it to be returned like kind, people will treat you the same. I have found that even if a person meets you for the first time and just seems to not like you for some reason known only unto themselves, if you just be yourself and apply the “do unto others as you would have them do unto you” belief, they will come around and someday you may end up the best of friends.

My concepts of work and play are as follows. My concept of work is that it should be fun and enjoyable. I feel that a person should choose a profession that will cause them to feel excited about going to their job. I fell that your profession should be a challenge for you each day and that you should look on that challenge as something that moves you and invigorates you! This is why I chose the teaching profession. Teaching is a daily challenge. It is such a joy to see the “light go on”, so to speak, when they have mastered a new concept. My concept on leisure is just relaxing and reading a great book.

In Conclusion my philosophy for living is to obey others and trust in them to take care of me, treat others the way that I would want to be treated, respect and care for my peers, and work hard at my current profession, I will be able to say that my life had been good. I think the thing that I keep telling myself that seems to make a difference, is simply, “don’t give in or give up because you have a Purpose for being here”. I also think that encouragement from others also makes a big difference. I feel that my life so far has been a good one. Oh, yes, I have made mistakes like anyone else, but, I personally feel that my life has never been boring! I have also seen that one of the best things that I have ever done was go back to school. I have learned so much and I am continuing to learn and look forward to each day that I have left there. No matter what you think of yourself, you can always learn more. Life is about learning and challenges and how we deal with those challenges can reveal a lot about us as individuals.