What I wished for…

Rachel - San Antonio, Texas

Growing up my family was very poor. Every morning I woke up wondering if we were going to be able to eat that day or have a place to sleep that night. Each day we would walk around to different shelters to try and get a spot before they were filled. Then, we would start our search for food. I could not help but wish we were “normal” and have money. Yet, with all of our misfortune, we were happy and even peaceful in our own way.

We appreciated every thing we did have and anything we received, but most of all we were happy to be together. There were plenty of times that the state could have and probably should have taken my sisters and I. We made up games, colored with sharpies and told stories to try and ignore our surroundings, which was usually filled with used syringes and condoms. We did not want to be separated no matter what.

Years have passed, along with many more misfortunes and many more blessings. My family and I are closer then ever, even though we all live in different states. I talk to them often, nearly everyday.

When I first met my in-laws I thought they were really nice and very “down-to-earth” people. I knew that they were “well-off,” but I did not realize that the family was set for life. This did not matter to me until a few months after my husband and I were married. I saw how each member acted very greedy in a very fake way, sometimes even my husband. In the back of everyones mind was the money, but face-to-face everyone absolutely adored each other. The whole family hates holidays and would rather be with friends then each other, though no one ever says it.

A few more months passed and I noticed that I was becoming the same way. I decided to take a trip to visit my sister in the old neighborhood. I felt so ashamed after seeing how tight my sister’s family budget was. They were not poor the way we were when we were children, but they were struggling. Yet again, they were extremely happy.

I could not help but tell myself that this is what I wished for. More money then a person needs with the price of a forever lonely and broken family.