Kids in Sports

Joe - Syracuse, New York
Themes: children, sports

I believe that with all of the opportunities presented, more kids in America should play more organized sports. There are approximately 40 million kids participating in organized sports every year. And with the amount of new programs being started, every kid in America has the opportunity to participate. Snoop Dogg created of youth football league for disenfranchised children. Major League Baseball has been starting leagues in urban areas, encouraging inner city children to play baseball. The opportunities for kids everywhere to participate in organized sports are endless.

The problem I see is that children today in America aren’t taking full advantage of these opportunities in organized sports. By the time I started high school, I had played six different sports. I then continued to play 2 sports in high school, baseball and cross-country. Too many parents claim that there child doesn’t have the skills necessary to play soccer. Or that there child isn’t good enough. Aren’t youth sports supposed to be about having fun and not about the final score? Aren’t youth sports where kids learn the skills and rules of a sport anyways? My claim is that more kids just need to get outside, interact with all the other kids their age and have fun while they do it.

This leads me into the mantra of my belief, which is that kids just need to get out and exercise more than they do currently. Obesity is a leading cause of death in today’s society, and I believe that a way to combat it is to get our kids outside and active at a young age. So many people sit inside and watch TV all day and refrain from any physical activity and it makes me wonder how much we are actually trying combat the epidemic of obesity in America.

Looking back at my childhood, I realize so many things that I learned from playing sports as a kid. Interaction with my peers, knowledge of sports, I gained friends, competition, and most importantly, teamwork. Many morals and life lessons can be learned through sports and they can help kids grow up and mature the right way.

With that said, there is no excuse for not taking advantage of the opportunities given to kids these days regarding organized sports. If they’re run the right way, organized sports are the most beneficial activity for the bodies and minds of children as they grow up. Maybe every kid doesn’t need to play six different sports like I did, but getting outside and being active isn’t very much to ask of a kid. Therefore, parents should encourage their children to play soccer, baseball, basketball, or whatever sport or sports that interest their kids because it will only benefit them in the end.