No Restrictions on Love

Greg - Syracuse, New York
Themes: love

A little more than one month ago I decided to take a leap of faith and get engaged. Although it was a scary thing to do, it was even more exciting. One of the most interesting parts about this engagement was seeing how others react to our decision. Yes, I said our decision. This was not just my decision. It was something my now-fiancé and I had discussed quite a bit because it was our lives, not just mine.

I had come to the decision back in June to purchase the engagement ring and held onto the ring for a month before I proposed. I waited that long because I wanted to ask my girlfriend on a special day, the one-year anniversary of our first kiss.

Later that day came time for informing all of our friends that we were now engaged. Hearing everyone’s reactions made me wonder how genuine people were. I got a lot of “well I’m happy if you’re happy.” For once, I just wanted to hear a “real” congratulations and sincerity in our friends’ voices. I still continuously get this vibe from our friends and their opposition tends to be worrisome about us because of our age and monetary situation.

I believe that there should be no restrictions on love. Yes it is true we have only been dating for one year, but we have known each other for three years. It is different than other college “flings.” I have never said the word “Love” so quickly in a relationship to someone before in my life, which is a difficult word to say. With my fiancé, I just get that sense of someone always being there for me, through thick and thin, “til death do us part.” She is always there for me when I need her and I am always there for her.

As I mentioned earlier, our friends are also concerned about us financially. But anytime they express that point to us, we are able to back it up. First off, after I graduate this year I will be out in the work world and making a salary. My fiancé will be coming back to Syracuse University with an assistanceship as a graduate student, which will also save money. It also seems that out friends don’t seem to understand that this is a long engagement. We aren’t getting married till June of 2010 and my fiancés’ parents are paying for the wedding.

Everyone has their hard times when starting a family. But when you are with the one you love, it seems like noting matters as long as you have each other. Nothing will stop us from loving each other, especially not our age or money.