Blessed

Kristin - Warfordsburg, Pennsylvania

I never cease to cringe when I hear someone say, “You’re so talented, I wish I could do that.” Such a statement implies that this person is not satisfied with his or her blessings. I feel as though every person is blessed with a God-given talent. That talent is unique and has a purpose in the scheme of life – this, I believe.

It didn’t take long for me to realize that I was not an athlete. I recall dwelling upon my lack of coordination while keeping the bench warm on the elementary basketball team, weeping when I was not chosen to play on the junior high volleyball team, and becoming furious when all I was able to do was inhale the dust of the runners in front of me on the track team. However, through all of these frustrating times I was able to find my own gift – my voice.

As a child, I remember singing “Big Girls Don’t Cry” whenever shampoo would find it’s way into my eyes. Soon, I found myself singing at numerous churches in the area. I quickly became involved in every optional choir at school and was honored with the privilege of singing the Star-Spangled Banner at several PIAA sporting events. At first, I sang because it was fun. Eventually I discovered that it was the best way for me to express myself, considering my own words tend to fail me. Finally, I found that the main reason I enjoyed singing so much was because it sparked emotion in the people in the audience. The expression on a person’s face can say more than words. After performances, people would say things like, “Great job!” As flattering as such a compliment is, those two words do not compare to the tears that well up in a person’s eyes when they make a personal connection to your performance.

I feel as though the talent that a person is blessed with, in one way or another, helps to brighten the lives of those who surround him or her. A talent may be something as simple as the gift of being able to listen, not only with your ears, but with your heart, as well. How many times have you ever had to vent? Isn’t it a wonderful feeling to know that you have someone who is willing to just listen to you? They don’t even have to say anything – just listen – and somehow you know that everything is going to be okay. Some people are blessed with a smile. Have you ever heard someone say that a smile is contagious? I would have to agree. A smile is a blessing that anyone has the ability to share.

I suppose that in the end, my wish is that anyone and everyone will be able to see the beauty in the gift that they have been given – no matter how small it may seem. I believe that everybody is blessed and will, at some point in their lives, bless others.