Naps

Meg - Syracuse, New York
Themes: pleasure

I remember being a young kid and dreading being put down for my afternoon nap. Now, I can’t seem to find enough time in the day to spend sleeping and I actually power walk back to my room in between classes to get an extra hour of shuteye. I believe in naps. Babies, the elderly, Spain, and college students are all on to something. A great afternoon nap can make a world of a difference in my day. I am more alert, less moody, and my stress is reduced. I think naps are one of the most logical concepts. As a kid, we go off our basic instincts and when we feel tired, we sleep. Most people feel drowsy in the afternoon, so doesn’t it make sense to take a quick power nap? Our culture seems to frown down on napping; we are a fast-paced society and caffeine is used to mask our need for a refreshing mid-day snooze. In Spain, siestas are a common routine. Babies in all cultures take naps without question. The elderly recognize their need for a good cat-nap. College students are infamously known for sleeping at odd hours during the day. I believe that we are the happiest in life as young kids with no worries, the best years of our lives are in college, and the elderly hit retirement and rediscover the joys of life. Is it a coincidence that these same people, in the happiest times of their lives, also take naps? I think not. Adults seem to get caught up in the stress of their jobs and the hustle and bustle of daily life and they fight the urge to slow down and take a nap to refresh and reenergize. I believe that if it was universally accepted to nap, people would be friendlier, boyfriends and girlfriends would fight less, public transportation would be a more enjoyable experience, and just maybe, there would be world peace.