Eric - Syracuse, New York

Throughout my lifetime, I have never seen an invention dominate an industry and influence the world as greatly as the Ipod has. Therefore, I believe that the Ipod is the single greatest invention of my lifetime. The Ipod has completely dominated the music industry for the past seven years since its creation in 2001 with over 90% of the market for hard-drive based players and over 70% of the market for all players (Marsal, Katie, Apple Insider, 2007). Over 170 million Ipods have been sold worldwide since 2001.

The Ipod has also been a huge money-making product for Apple Inc. Due to the Ipod’s fame and value, Apple has become one of the most powerful industries in the world today with its modern products in music, computing, and cell phones. No company is similar to Apple because of the modern approach that they take on and have perfected over the past decade. Their advertising is brilliant in the fact that when you see or hear their ads, you know it’s for Apple even before you’re told.

The Ipod has been the driving force though when it comes to the growth of the Apple brand. Ipods are their main source of money, popularity, and fame. You can argue that their computers have become their best product that they offer, however, the Ipod’s fame and ability to reach out to people everywhere has made Apple able to sell such great products in addition to the Ipod. On January 22, 2008, Apple reported the best quarter revenue and earnings in Apple’s history so far. Apple posted record revenue of $9.6 billion and record net quarterly profit of $1.58 billion. 42% of Apple’s revenue for the first fiscal quarter of 2008 came from iPod sales, followed by 21% from notebook sales and 16% from desktop sales (Apple Inc, Apple Reports First Quarter Results, 2008.). These numbers show how important the Ipod is to the growth and success of the Apple brand and its domination of other products of its kind.

Ipods have also been a huge influential force in the MP3 and music device industry. Other companies that make MP3 playing devices have been forced to create their products similar to Ipods or else they can’t compete with them. The Ipod really has no flaws when you break it down. Ipods have a clean look, good battery power, and are very easy to operate. A person with no Ipod experience can become familiar with the Ipod within 10 minutes it is so easy. Apple was very smart with the way they created the Ipod because the Ipod itself is a very complicated device to build but its functions are simple.

The Itunes music store, which is the online music store that is directly affiliated with the Ipod and the music program Itunes, has been a powerful asset for the music industry and its fight against illegal music downloads. With the ease and speed of purchasing music through the Itunes store, people have begun to get over the art of illegally downloading their music and have used Itunes, Ipods, and the Itunes Store as a new way to receive new music and listen to it. The Ipod has saved the music industry in a sense because now artists are getting the money that they deserve for the music they are putting out for fans to listen to and enjoy.

Due to the Ipod’s versatility, easy use, influential power, and money making ability, I believe it is the greatest invention of my lifetime. No product has ever done so much for its industry and for its company as the Ipod has done for music and for the Apple brand.