The Miracles of Sisterhood

Leah - Syracuse, New York

When people find out that I have three sisters, they generally respond with “Four girls? Your poor father.” Yes, living with four girls (five including my mom) was hell for ALL of us at times. However, my sisters are my best friends. Throughout our lives and situations we’ve been in together, my sisters have made me believe in certain miracles.

My mom never said anything negative about Jessica’s biological dad, but there was something about him that didn’t sit well with my sister, Pam, and I. Whenever he would come over to pick Jess up for a weekend, he would wait just inside the door for her. Pam and I would hide around the corner and take turns running out to stomp on his feet. Jessica is always late, so the stomping would last a good ten minutes. As I got older, I started to wonder why my mother never stopped us from being so rude. When I was 16, Jessica finally told me why our mom and her dad got divorced. Because of my oldest sister, Jessica, I believe in the miracle of a child’s intuition.

Pam is exactly two and half years, five days, and 12 hours older than me. When we were little, we played with two girls across the street. One day as we were playing, Pam wanted to run back home for a toy. A few moments after she left, we heard a bloodcurdling scream. We rushed outside. It was bright and sunny, but there was a strange man in a yellow raincoat and hat, dirty and disheveled, running toward my sister. Pam was frozen in the driveway. At that same moment, my dad turned down the street on his way home from work, saw this man heading for Pam, and sped down the street. The man saw the car and ran into the woods. Because of Pam, I believe in the miracle of perfect timing.

Three and a half years after I was born, my mom’s doctor told her that she needed a hysterectomy. The doctor cut into her stomach, had the womb in his hands and was about to “tie the tubes” when an intern inquired about an enlarged vein that usually signifies pregnancy. The doctor placed the organs back in their place, told the team to sew her back up, and left with his face stark white. He resigned the next day. When my mom woke up from the anesthesia, my dad told her that instead of having a hysterectomy, she was having a baby. Because of Jane, I believe in miracles.