Racial Conflict

Andrea - san antonio, Texas
Themes: prejudice, race

Racial Conflict

As a little girl, growing up in a small town, and being that I was Hispanic, I was surrounded by nothing but Hispanics. The towns’ minority was definitely the Anglos. I remember being very young and a lot of my friends calling the Anglo kids “whitey” or “Freckle Face” etc. My mother used to work at the school I attended and saw everything I was exposed to when it came to race. Everyday before getting to school, she would take 2 minutes in the parking lot before we got off her jeep to tell me “Andrea, just because we don’t have the same skin color as Dusty and David (two of my friends) and you hear other kids calling them names, does not make it okay for you to do the same, that is called racism”. I always nodded and went on my way because I was not guilty of any of it and I was young! As I’m older now, I realize and am astonished at how this STILL goes on today. I guess tradition never dies. Now, when I hear things involving racism or prejudice criticisms, I remember what my mom had to tell me everyone morning when I was in 2nd grade and understand now, why it was so important for her to tell me that. It kills me to know the civil war days are over and yet, racial conflict is still around. Not only because it is rude, but as a minority now, I know how it feels to be in my friends Dusty and David’s position. And I’m sure as a kid it more so much more then what it does now as an adult.