I believe that it is important to strive to get a job you have a passion for

Jonathan - Syracuse, New York

I believe you should strive to do what you love for a living. Everyone has an endless amount of options on ways to spend each day of their lives. Most people hate waking up in the morning each day for 40 years because they know they have to go to a job that they dislike. Work takes up such a large portion of each day that it would only make sense to spend this time doing something that you have a passion for.

I believe that you should experiment with different jobs until you find the right one that fits your wants and needs. Sure some people will take jobs because it pays well and I understand that, but will it really make you happy? It is more important to enjoy what you do each day, then to be able to get a television that is a few inches bigger than the one you had before.

I believe that sitting in a cubicle staring at a computer screen for 8 hours a day, for half of your life, is not why we were put on this earth. We were put on this earth to enjoy ourselves and live life to the fullest. I know in the society we live in today there are bills to be paid and food to be put on the table, but this can be accomplished by getting a job that makes you happy.

I believe that if you work hard enough in school, or look hard enough when you are out of school, that everyone can find a job that suits them. I have loved sports my whole life and I want to have a job in the sports industry, which is why I am majoring in sport management. When I get out of college I plan to search for a job in the sports industry, but do I really want to be the assistant marketing director for a minor league baseball team? I want to be the general manager for a major league baseball team. Is this realistic? Probably not. I have a passion for sports, but if I can’t find a job in sports that I love, I am going to look elsewhere because it is extremely important to do something that you love to do each and every day.

I strongly believe that you should do everything possible to obtain a job that makes you want to wake up in the morning. Life is too short to waste dreading going to work everyday. Many times I have heard my college friends say things like, “We have two years left of fun.” That doesn’t have to be the case. I am not saying that we are going to find jobs that we absolutely love, but at least try to find a job that you don’t mind going to.