Always taking advantage

Chelsea - Kyle, Texas

I believe we all tend to take advantage of our own lives.

We even like to think we’re invincible.

I always wonder if people stop to think, “I should smile… I’m alive.” Why is it you always hear that we are equal in one mans eyes. But why can’t we be equal no matter how we look or where we’ve been, where we’ve been makes us into who we are. You call a multi-million dollar home a luxury… A blind man who gains sight is his luxury, his miracle.

I myself thought I was invincible until I found out that I had a chronic illness that has yet to be diagnosed. I have been told to receive cancer treatments for a benign tumor in my throat, and I always told myself “I will not let this illness beat me.”

As I was going through this experience for some reason I gained this mindset, this attitude that I never needed anyone’s help, and always getting mad when people would call me stubborn or hard-headed, continuing to push people away when really all they wanted to do was help and never thinking that maybe other people have never had the chance of someone to call for help, or a shoulder to cry on, or even a simple hand to hold.

So I guess the simple things we unknowingly take for granted are the things that we really need the most such as our parents, our friends, even our teachers at school. You never want to be one of those people who end up missing out on what they can’t get back.