I Believe In My Choices

Jesse - San Antonio, Texas

I believe that a person needs to make their own choices.

I have chosen to live the life given to me as I see fit. If I fail, then I failed, nobody else. If I succeed, then I have succeeded. But whatever the outcome, I chose it. I choose how to look at the things in my life. I choose who I make friends with. I choose who I talk to, where I work, what I do for fun and what moves me.

Sometimes, things happen that I might not have control over. Losing my grandfather to a biking accident was not my choice. Missing him dearly and deciding to love my family more was. Deciding to move on, to live my life, and to cut ties with those that I thought were negative influences in my life was my choice. Some of the choices are hard to make, and I still struggle every day wondering if I have made the right choice. But I have chosen, nobody else has chose for me. Some might make it easier to choose, but the decision lies with me. Some of those ties that were cut were from my family, those that I grew up with, those that have helped me in the past. I have chosen to leave them behind. There are those things that happen within families that are beyond repair, and there are things that happen that make one realize that you are mistaken about those that you hold dear. Those choices were surprisingly easy.

I have chosen my wife and daughter above all else. Their happiness, safety and well being is my purpose. I have chosen to improve myself through education, fitness and philosophy. I have chosen that when the time is right, when I am ready, I will change my community as much as I can. I have chosen to reject the negative aspects in my life and I have chosen to be happy.

I believe that my choices are my own. I believe that living without choosing my own fate is not living. I believe that my choices define who I am. I believe that the person scared to make choices is scared of themselves, of what they might become. I am not scared. I believe I am ready for what comes, be it fortune or failure.

I believe that when things happen that we aren’t ready for, our choices are the easiest. I believe our gut reactions are the best indications of who we are. I believe that the choices that are the hardest are the choices we see far into the future and continue to avoid.

I cannot explain my choices all the time. Sometimes choices hurt others. Those are things I have to deal with, but I believe in my choices.

I believe in me.