I believe that there is no success without failure.

Amy - Syracuse, New York
Themes: purpose, setbacks

I believe that there is no success without failure. We all make mistakes daily, some of them larger than others, but mistakes nonetheless. We fail at finishing our homework on time, forgetting to call a friend on their birthday, we run stop signs, we break hearts and have ours broken. A large misconception is that failing makes us losers, when in fact it helps us grow and learn more about ourselves. Sure failing at doing something can hurt and make us upset, but it’s how we react to that failure that shapes us as individuals. Every part of who I am today is based off of the failures that I have endured in my past and what I have made of my mistakes. Without failure one does not understand what it means to succeed, since every action would just been seen as mere normality.

I believe that being told you’re not good enough or don’t have the talent to succeed only drives you to try harder and prove yourself. For me, one of the best and worst days of my life fell on the same day, caused by the same failure. At a young age I fell in love with soccer. The only thing holding me back was sadly a lack of extreme talent. I practiced with a personal trainer for months prior to season and I still failed to make the All Star team that was my one passion. But that’s the best thing about it, I had passion and love for the game. I knew I had to make one of two choices: let failure stop me from pursuing my dream, or learn from my mistakes and move on. I decided to move on, and with that I continued to train until I felt I had the skills and confidence to put myself out there again. With that one decision I had already learned a lot about myself, that I had the courage and ability to overcome hardships, and because of that I am grateful for my failure.

I believe that the mistakes we make define who we are. Just by gaining the courage to try something pushes you to grow. It makes you test yourself, know your strengths and weaknesses but also helps you learn the things you’re capable of doing. Yes, I know that pushing yourself to do something you’re unsure of can quite frequently lead to failure. But there is nothing wrong with failing. It is better to try something and not succeed, then sit there and watch an opportunity pass you by. Your attitude and reaction to every day events define who you are. Life is going to take its course and there’s nothing you can do to stop some things that happen. But you can control your attitude and reaction to negative things.

I believe that failure is a part of life and just as important as success. Think of a mistake you have made in your life or times you wish you could’ve done something differently. There’s a large chance you wont make the same mistake again as long as you learn from your past and move on to the best of your ability. I believe that everything happens for a reason. We fail so we learn how to grow, we fail so we know the feeling of sorrow and we fail so when we succeed it’s just that much more rewarding.