Change is the Ingredient

Natalie - Healdsburg, California
Themes: change

Change Is the Ingredient

Life is what you make it. You can go through your life with the same routine, the monotonous atmosphere, and with a dull future. To make your life that spicy paella dish that you love, you need to make sure you throw in that key ingredient of change.

Change is how you discover your passions and your dislikes. If you continue to run your life with a hat of disappointment on, change that cap and make a new look for yourself. As a teenager, adjusting friends, lifestyles, and looks is one of the largest parts because you are learning who you are. Throughout that process, a diverse range of emotions flood through your veins like water in a faucet. I am a senior at Healdsburg High School and I know what those various feelings are like.

Since the beginning of 7th grade, I had 4 best friends, and we called ourselves the fab five. We were bubbly and ignorant to the world around us. Once high school started, our worlds changed because one of our best friends went to a different high school. So, we were left the fantastic four. At the end of the summer of 2007, one of my best friends began to distance herself from our close group of four. Once the school year began, this friend approached me and my other two best friends admitting that she felt lost and confused when she was with us, and that she thought the best thing for herself was to find new friends. Feelings of anger, frustration, and betrayal boiled throughout me because one of my best friends felt as if she couldn’t stand us. After weeks of continued gossip in the high school atmosphere, awkward encounters, and some glares, issues began to unfold and settle between us. I still have two best friends who I am inseparable with, and we continue to experience life. Now when I see my old best friend, I feel as if this thorny change was for the better despite the throbbing pains myself and other friends felt. We are able to be civilized enough to say hello in the hallways or even have a casual conversation. I know things will never be the same, but I understand that it was for the better for all of us.

Some people say they cannot deal with change, and that they prefer routine, but change is what makes life exciting. It can be painful, but often times that pain will turn into happiness in the long run. So, add that spicy ingredient, that tender chicken and the love from the chef, and things will change in your dish of life.