Running For Your Life

Brad - Buda, Texas

Every year at school something has been taken away from the students. I remember in 8th grade when we could no longer buy pizza on spirit days or in 10th grade when they stopped selling candy and sodas. They claim that this is because of a growing health problem called obesity. One day I finally came up with an easy solution to this problem. All you have to do is make a simple choice between a healthy life or a glutinous life.

I believe that cross-country should be a required class for everyone until they graduate from high school. Cross-country can teach many life long skills but I never learned them until I decided to go out and run.

1- To begin with, cross-country can teach a valuable lesson about time management. When I had to wake up at 6 in the morning to go run, I quickly found out that I would not be able to stay up very late. As a student, I had to manage my time better so that I could get all of my homework done before I was to tired to keep my eyes open. I use to be addicted to playing on my X-Box when I got home and would play it for hours. I would take procrastination to the next level and would do my homework into the darkest hours of the night. Ever since I started running though, I had to cut back tremendously on the amount of time I spent playing games because I would be to tired to stay up and do my homework. I had to realize that I could play games whenever I wanted to but homework had a deadline that had to be met. By cutting back on playing games, I was able to get all of my work done before I had to go to sleep and every once in a while, I rewarded my hard work by playing for a little bit.

2- The best way to prevent weight gain is to exercise. Going out and running three to six miles everyday is the best way to do this. When I run I am working just about every muscle in my body. Running will not only strengthen my muscles, but it can become an easy habit to do every morning so that I will never have to worry about getting obese. My grandma would always tell me how I was going to get fat since I ate so much, but since I run everyday, I have never had a problem with my weight.

These are just two of the reasons why I believe that cross-country should be a requirement in school. I believe that this could be an easy and cheap solution to solving obesity everywhere. It all starts out with choices. That’s what I did. I made the choice of living a healthy athletic lifestyle instead of one where I sit around all day eating Twinkies and sodas. It was an easy choice.