Learning from your Mistakes

Allison - Syracuse, New York

I truly believe in making mistakes. From trivial mistakes, to mistakes that are life changing, I believe that without them there is no growth, no experience and no life lessons learned. It is hard to write an essay about the mistakes that I have made, exposing the truth about my personal flaws for all to see, but hopefully others out there have done similar things and can relate what I have experienced, have grown from and have made me the person that I am today.

I have learned from mistakes that I’ve made throughout my life from trivial things like cashing a check wrong, forgetting information, getting lost and washing my darks with my whites. I’ve also learned from the more serious mistakes that I’ve made like lying to friends and family, cheating on exams, doing bad things in excess, sneaking out or hurting someone. The list goes on and I learn new things from mistakes that I make at least 5 times a day. I learn about myself, the world and about others. I grow stronger, and more knowledgeable. I learn valuable life lessons from doing things incorrectly. I’m not saying that it’s good to make mistakes often, or that it’s ok to act in the wrong, but that you shouldn’t beat yourself up for not being perfect all the time. Even though there are times that I look back and wish that I had done things differently, I don’t regret anything from my past because it has made me who I am today.

There have been many occasions that I have made mistakes, big or small, and mostly some that I’d rather not mention. I think that one of the biggest mistakes that I made in my lifetime was moving to Florida senior year of high school. My mom got a job there and offered me to move there with her and I said yes for the wrong reasons. I said yes in hopes that I would find something better in Florida, to get away from the drama of my friends and to rediscover myself. I thought that Florida would magically bring me happiness. Instead I was in a place with no one that I knew. I went to a school with people I didn’t fit in with, trying to break through the bonds that my peers had with each other since they were 5 years old, when I should’ve been doing the same thing with my friends back in New York. I didn’t find the happiness that I was searching for, and I spent the year trying to prove myself to people I didn’t necessarily want to be friends with that I was worth talking to.

Senior year ended up being one of the most difficult years of my life. At the time I thought to myself that I really screwed up and would’ve done anything to change the situation, but looking back on it, as much as I didn’t enjoy that year I probably learned more about myself and others than any other time. I learned how to deal with all different types of people, how to hold my own in life and how to be confident with who I was when it seemed like everyone was judging me. I learned that to make good friends I just had to be myself, and that alone time can be very rewarding. I learned about how to get ahead and how to make negative situations more positive.

Although it was a hard time it ultimately shaped my life and got me to where I am today. I got into Syracuse because of the school I went to, made a few amazing friends who I see whenever I go back to Florida, and got an education that I wouldn’t have found otherwise. I participated in new clubs and organizations and expanded my talents, beliefs and thought process, making one of the biggest mistakes of my life a rewarding and life changing experience.