I believe in the Power of Helping Others

Lena - Syracuse, New York

I have seen children who could not speak, say their first words. I have seen children who could not walk, run down the driveway. I have seen parents cry and children laugh when the unimaginable happens. I have seen miracles happen every day because someone believed. Someone believed that the power of helping others can make these miracles happen. I believe in the power of helping others.

I have spent my life volunteering for a therapeutic riding program. The program is for children and adults with disabilities- from autism to Down’s syndrome to attention deficit disorder (A.D.D.). I believe in the cause so much that when I turned eighteen, I became a certified instructor so that I could teach the riders. There is no better feeling I have experienced then when one of my riders accomplishes something he didn’t believe he could.

I have a special opportunity to help people because of my background in therapeutic riding. I was introduced to a unique way of helping people and I feel blessed to have that opportunity. I take advantage of it whenever possible. It has changed my life for the better, knowing that I am able to change someone else’s life through the work that I do. Whenever I feel upset about my life, I can remember the feeling I get when my I witness a miracle and it immediately makes me feel better.

I have witnessed dozens of miracles that therapeutic riding has allowed to happen. The most life changing story I can think of is the story of one of my riders. Every year, we travel to a horse show for disabled children. One of my riders won a ribbon in the show, not first or second, but in her mind, she had still won. The second she got off the horse, she wobbled over to her parents and exclaimed “look Mom and Dad, now I have a ribbon just like my brothers and sisters do!” I almost broke down in tears to see how much that ribbon meant to her. I know that I helped her get that ribbon and no one will ever be able to take that away from her.

Without the help of numerous volunteers and instructors, these miracles could never happen. Without someone standing up one day to say “I will make a difference,” these children would never win a ribbon. The adults would never be able to get out of their wheelchairs and feel the movement of walking again via the horse. The riders would never be able to accomplish everyday miracles without help. That is why I believe in the power of helping others.

I heard a quote once by an anonymous author that says “nobody can do everything, but everyone can do something.” People can make a difference every day in the life of someone. The difference doesn’t have to be something as drastic as feeding a nation, just feed one person. Everyone can make a difference in the life of someone. Sometimes, that difference can even be in your own life. Several of our riders have made a difference in the lives of our volunteers, by showing them the power they have to help others. The change in your own life can be the most powerful difference of all.

The miracles that I see every single day would not be possible without the help of others. The smiles on the children’s faces and the tears in the parent’s eyes would not happen if we were not willing to help others. My mother has a favorite quote that she shows to all of our new volunteers. It reads “someday we will all have perfect wings.” The power of helping others is the ability to give each person a perfect set of wings.