Everything Happens for a Reason

Maggie - Syracuse, New York

I believe that everything in life happens for a reason. As a college student, most of what I do now will directly affect my future. Who I meet, what I learn and how much I am involved will all influence who I become in the upcoming years after graduation. This has become clearer to me now as I reflect back on my whole voyage through college as I embark on my final year of school.

I remember the spring semester of my sophomore year and the journey I took in registering for classes. I had all of my classes planned out. I had the perfect schedule with the perfect times and the best professors for my major. Then I found out that I have the worst registration time ever for sophomores on the campus. As I logged into the Syracuse University system I became livid. The one class I really wanted to take was completely full. As an alternative, to keep my full-time student standing, I opted to take a community nutrition course a year earlier than I had planned.

The course changed my life. It made me realize that community nutrition was what I wanted to practice for the rest of my career as a dietitian. Looking back on that day, when I was registering for classes for that upcoming semester, I realized that the class was full for a reason. The choosing of elective classes is another example of how everything happens for a reason. Electives are electives, you do not expect to learn much from them and most students choose the classes they hear are the easiest or have the best teachers. Those elective classes can change your life though. I did not enter college as a nutrition major, I changed from being undeclared into a nutrition concentration after taking an entry level nutrition course as an elective. For me, choosing that elective happened for a reason.

There is more to life than choosing classes and career paths. The people you meet enter your life for a reason as well. Ever meet a person and then run into them later on in life? Just coming back from an amazing experience abroad I had to laugh a little. My roommate while studying in Australia was a girl I had met freshman year. We never hung out or conversed much at all, just had the same group of friends and met maybe twice. Well when we both found out we were studying abroad in Australia, we decided to be roommates. After traveling together, sleeping in the same room and meeting the same amazing people we have grown to become more like sisters. Without ever meeting her, I would have been without a roommate and probably wouldn’t have experienced half the things I did while studying abroad.

As a college student much of what I do now affects my future. The time I could not get into the class I most desired I got frustrated by the situation. Everything happens for a reason and the class I did take proved this to me now further into my college career. The same goes for every time you meet someone. The next time you are introduced to an acquaintance do not just brush them off. You met them for a reason and they might truly be able to help you some time in the near future.

The motto “everything happens for a reason” enhances your ability to comprehend the elements that compose your life. If an unfortunate incident occurs, don’t give up completely. It was meant to happen and even if you do not know it yet, will bring you something in the future, even if it is just as simple as allowing your own persona to grow.