What bothers me does not bother others

Terray - San Antonio, Texas

What bothers me does not bother others.

I believe that what bothers me does not bother others. As far as I can remember, I have let things that were trivial in nature bother me while wondering what was wrong with everyone else. Why was it that they just did not bother with what I was later to find were trivial things. That maybe, by chance, the way I looked at the situation was actually the right way of feeling about it. It takes me back to the time when my mother came to stay with my family. She thought it would be a great idea to have the kids clean the house before I got home. The kids had finished and everyone was waiting for me to get home. I walked through the door and there it was a slice of pickle on the floor. This pickle slice was larger than life, larger than all the wonderful aromas of a clean house, and even larger than the praise that was not given for such a thoughtful and considerate jester on my children’s part. No, there it was, bigger than a truck parked in the kitchen. Instead of mentioning and even praising the hard work to achieve this wonderful outcome to what was once a very dirty house, all their efforts were discounted because of this small insignificant detail. I immediately responded when asked about how the kitchen looked “It looks good but what about this pickle on the floor.” Everyone looked at me as if I was crazy. What was I thinking? This was not a big deal, except that it was to me. To this day, the memory comes up, but in a humorous way. The kids have forgiven me my quirk and I have learned to appreciate the larger picture. Therefore, I believe that what bothers me does not bother others, and that is okay.