The Power of Encouragement

Stacy - San Antonio, Texas
Themes: family, hope, illness

It was May, 2007 when we received the phone call from the nursing home in California where my Grandma was residing. We were informed that unless somebody stepped up and claimed her she would become a Warden of the State. Obviously, I was not going to allow this to happen, I packed my things, and called the nursing home, and informed the staff of my tenure. To my surprise, I was told that I would not be allowed to just go and pick up my Grandma that paperwork would need to be done. After months of making phone calls, contacting the right departments for ombudsmen’s, power of attorney, and providers, we finally had the ok to pick her up. Our journey was scheduled for October 6, 2007. My cousin and I would fly there, pick her up, and return home the following day. Things went exactly as planned until we got my Grandma home. After three hours of having her home, she had a seizure and was admitted into ICU at a hospital down the street. She was also placed on life support with no prognosis. Following an 8-week nap, my Grandma beat all odds and opened her eyes. From there she had to have several more surgeries for different medical ailments. With each surgery we were advised that the prognosis of her survival was slim, yet she managed to pull through like a champ surprising all of the surgeons. Although she is still on mechanical ventilation, she has surpassed every expectation that the doctor gave her, and continues to do so to date.

It is my belief that with enough encouragement and love people can do anything, and surpass any limit that is given to them. My Grandma has inspired me to want to me a stronger, better person for myself. She has made me set higher goals for myself, just as she continues to do for herself, in trying to wean off of the ventilator. She has made me step out of my box and find different ways in helping her succeed in her goals by asking the doctors different questions. By making the doctors step out of their boxes as well, and think that just because the textbooks say something can’t be done, doesn’t make it true. Don’t every let anybody tell you that something is impossible!