I Am Dependent On My Cell Phone

Michelle - Queens, New York

As early as 9 years ago, only 32 percent of the U.S. population owned cell phones. Today, that number is up to 82 percent and the thought of not having a cell phone scares us! This is because cell phones are a part of our everyday routine. We rely on them for so many things that we wouldn’t be able to live without them, even when we know they could possibly be dangerous to our health and well-being.

From 1999 to 2008, the amount of cell phone subscribers increased by 50 percent! Why? Because people use cell phones today for almost everything, from calling family and friends that live near or far, to setting up dinner dates, or even just in case of emergency. Now, some people use their phones as a security system to check pictures of their home while they’re away! Parents put in global positioning systems to track their children! If you get lost, no problem! Just use the Internet to look up directions! You can check your email, log onto websites and watch television! Yes, even television! 45 percent of the U.S. used their phones to watch the Olympics this year! Thank you updated technology!

Adults aren’t the only ones dependent on their phones. Oh no, it’s the children and teenagers too! About two thirds of the children in the U.S. own cell phones and over 50 percent of teenagers own a cell phone by the time they are 13! One time I saw a girl that couldn’t be a day over the age of 12 carrying a brand new Nextel covered in glitter beads! When I was 12 I didn’t even know what a Nextel was, let alone worrying about putting beads on it! At that age I had the biggest, ugliest Nokia phone and it could only be used in case of emergency! Also, look at college campuses. Almost everyone has a cell phone, from the faculty to the students!

But, what about the negatives that come with cell phones? There have been multiple studies that are trying to prove whether or not the radiation from cell phones causes brain damage. What did you say? Cell phones can possibly cause brain damage? Whatever, I still need to call my friend about tonight! Also, 73 percent of people talk on their cell phone while they drive. Who cares if both of my hands aren’t on the wheel or that my full attention isn’t on the road? I’ll be fine! I’ll get a headset!

I believe… that I would be lost without my cell phone, just like I believe so would everyone else. My cell phone died on me just last month and I cried because I had to go just TWO DAYS without a phone. WHO CRIES OVER A CELL PHONE? I think that’s when you know there’s a problem. My cell phone is my source for everything, from television to tracking my future children, and I believe… that we are all dependent on them.