Overcoming the Worst

Luis - del valle, Texas
Themes: setbacks

I know that a lot of people are never thankful when their parents get a divorce but I am. It has shaped me into the young man that I am right now and has taught me so much. I’ve learned that even when times seen at their worst in the end things can only get better.

Those were probably the two longest and hardest years of my life. The tunnel just kept on going and it seemed as if I would never reach the light. Day after day I would be crying non stop. It became almost an everyday routine. I loved my parents equally and I had no idea who to choose. It was the hardest decision I have ever had to made but I knew that it was one I had to do. As I told my mom that I had decided to go live with her I took a glance at my dad and couldn’t help but to start crying even more. To this day in my life I have yet to see my dad shed a tear, and it’s the greatest quality that I admire in him. But as I looked over at my dad I could see his eyes watering, but as quickly as they came they were gone. My dad wiped his sad face off and came to me with a smile, a fake smile of course. He gave me this hug that made me not want to let go of him and told me that he loved me very much and that he would miss me.

One day I asked if I could go stay with my dad for the weekend and little did my mom know was that it would be the last time that she would ever live with me again. When she finally picked me up that Sunday chaos erupted. She became furious when I told her the news, she couldn’t believe what she was hearing and didn’t want any of it to be true. After 30 minutes of non stop yelling she finally got in her car and took off.

But just as we thought it was over she comes around again and gets out the car angrier then before. She then comes into the front yard and YANKS on my arm forcing me to get in the car with her. With all my might I was able to soon escape and run behind my dad’s leg scared. Eventually things got a little out of control and my dad had no option but to call the cops. They then made me choose who I would live with and this time whoever I picked was the one I had to stay with. I wanted to immediately say my dad but seeing my mom crying really got to me. But in the end I made the right decision.

This event has made me realized that everything happens for a reason and when it seems that it will never end you finally see a glimpse of light and you know things will come out great in the end.