what makes us famous?

antoinette - littleton, Colorado

It all started w hen my 52-year-old uncle was diagnosed with cancer. I was spending more time talking to him and learning about what he was going through it was getting more difficult by the day. That warm summer day of my sister’s graduation party would be the last time I would ever see him. We talked and spent some time together. After that he went back home to Kansas and was struck with more serious pain the cancer had spread to more parts of his body this caused him to be put into hospis. We got a call we never wanted to come but did. The news penetrated us like the weather that day cold, cloudy, and rainy how was it like that in the middle of July?

Not even a year later my grandma would be taken from this world and us. She had been sick for 15 years. Every time I fell down I would think of her and how strong she was just to survive how long she did and how her body was taken away from the sickness but her love would always over come that and it would raise me. The last time I would see her alive I was sick and never got to really say goodbye to her. Later on may 26 the Monday right after I got out of school I woken to the screams of my mom she had passed away. After coming home from her funeral everywhere I went I was hearing about someone who was sick, someone who was dying, but my favorite was someone who was consumed by the sickness and had the love and strength to battle and would win or had won.

I was watching a movie on T.V, which was interrupted by a E NEWS commercial it was talking about Paris Hilton and Lindsey Lohan. It made me sick to my stomach why would they want to talk about them what importance have they shown us except that being fat is not the “IN” style, and orange is the best color for fall. Haven’t we had enough? What about the beautiful wife and mother of three kid that was diagnosed but was stronger and won the brutal battle. What about that man who was told he could no longer do his favorite things of osteoporosis but over came his weakness by growing stronger to be able to continue these hobbies. The man or women who was told they could never be this or that because their learning was too slow and took that and changed it because they became your dentist or that lawyer that would win your case.

These men and women are the people who should be the main stories in our magazines. Not how Brad Pit and Angelina Jolie had two more kids. The people who show us that surviving is possible will always be more important to me than the celebrities who played the star role in a big movie. Making people better and stronger by showing through you’re actions and words and showing that anything is possible is the greatest power other than love or peace this I believe.