I believe in appreciation and being thankful for what I have in my life

Lindsy - Hopewell, Virginia
Themes: family, gratitude

Every morning I wake up to the sound of a buzzing alarm clock. As I drag myself out of bed at 8 a.m, I begin to get that feeling of dread knowing that I have to spend 5 hours of my day sitting in a classroom being lectured to. But, as I complain, I start to think about two of the most important people in my life.

My dad, in my eyes is the most hardworking and deserving man that I know of. It amazes me how he can put on that happy face, completely aware of the fact that he has to get up at four in the morning. While he’s getting up, I’m still in bed enjoying the four hours of sleep I have left. While he’s standing on his feet all day being told what to do, I’m sitting in a comfortable reclining chair listening to a psychology lecture. While I sit in an air conditioned room, complaining that it’s cold, he’s in a ninety degree warehouse not even acknowledging the heat. While I get to spend the rest of my day enjoying a lunch, and relaxing in my room, he’s spending four more hours loading tires on the back of a delivery truck, with the possibility of a thirty minute lunch break. While I complain about the amount of work I have to before I go to bed, he praises himself for his hard work, knowing that he spend a whole day making earnings to provide for his family.

I never really understood how easy I had in made until one day I decided to go have breakfast with my friends in the cafeteria. Everyone was standing impatiently waiting for the hot food to be put and to be served. As I was waiting I heard rude comments being made to the cafeteria workers. “Why is it taking so long?” “How hard is it to have food ready for everyone in the morning?” Then I thought back to mom, and realized she was getting the same treatment back at home. Every morning she puts on a uniform, gets my sister ready, and heads off to work. She goes behind a serving line, and prepares biscuits and French toast for a group of rude students and teachers. Everyday she tries her hardest to please people, but there’s always someone who doesn’t see it as enough. After knowing what my mom goes through on a daily basis, really made me change my point of view.

My parents have worked so hard to get me everything I have and to get me this far in my life. I never really appreciated them or been thankful until the day I packed my things, and loaded down my dads van and left for that three hour drive to school. Now I know what it really means to appreciate someone, and I have seen the struggle of someone else to make another happy.