Big Is Beautiful

Erin - Hopewell Junction, New York

Fat, obese, overweight, pudgy, chubby, big, curvy. These are all things that I have been considered throughout my life, but the only thing that I consider myself, is beautiful. I believe that self-esteem does not come with a size two jean, or weighing 100 pounds. To me, beautiful is not tall, tan, skinny and blonde. I believe that everyone is beautiful. Wether they are black, white, asian, middle eastern, big, small, tall, short, it does not matter. There should be no standard put on beauty.

I was always “bigger” ever since I was born at 10 pounds 3 ounces. Through elementary school and junior high, i was always the “fat”, “smart” girl. I was never athletic. I was good in school and I did not have a lot of friends. I didn’t have a boy friend until my freshman year in high school. I spent way too much time feeling sorry for myself and then I realized, I am beautiful, smart, talented and friendly. People like me and respect me. I gained some confidence and things just kept getting better from there. I started dating more, going out more. I stopped assuming that people didn’t like me because of my appearance and started to finally love and respect myself for who I am.

I believe that it is important to be healthy, but i also believe that it is important to be happy. I am a healthy 16 year old girl. According to health standards i am considered “obese”. I am five foot six inches and i weigh 200 pounds. I do not find anything wrong with this. I have no serious health issues because of my weight and I love myself just the way I am. Sure, sometimes there are things I’d like to change, who wouldn’t? But I believe that I am beautiful the way I am. I am respected by my peers and my family. I am who I am and no one can change that.

Over the years, I have come to terms with that fact that I am beautiful the way I am and I am the happiest I’ve ever been. No one can bring me down. I’ve been called fat. Been told, “if you lost weight you’d be gorgeous!”. No, I am gorgeous. All I can wish for is that all those other girls out there who have ever been called fat, obese, overweight, pudgy, chubby, big etc, love yourself too. It all starts with respecting yourself and being confident. Be the person you want to be. Do not ever let anyone or anything stand in your way. I believe that big is beautiful and that someday everyone else will believe too.