Alexander - Glendale, Arizona
Themes: work

At the ripe age of seventeen, I have my entire life ahead of me. I have wonderful parents, a sick brother, awesome friends, and of course that perfect girl. So why do I feel rushed to get my life underway? Why does everyone want to know what I am going to do when I grow up? Yikes. What am I going to do when I grow up?

Although I am nearly an adult, I sure don’t feel like one. At this point in my life, I enjoy kickin’ it with friends, spending some quality time with my girlfriend, playing basketball, and snowboarding. Life under my parents’ roof is cake. The ultimate free ride. Every day is Alex Day. I am fortunate enough to have parents that are very successful. They busted their butts, got themselves fine jobs, and can now afford to live how they please. The expression ‘money doesn’t grow on trees’ never completely set in to my brother and I because my parents have pampered us like it was their job. I got a pretty sweet deal under the Mahan roof. Of course, never having to worry about money is a definite plus. This is why I have come to the conclusion that I must make lots of money down the road. Now I am sure not everyone needs to be pulling in boatloads of money to have an exciting life. Take my favorite mind-molder, Mrs. G, for instance. She is kickin’ ass! But to me personally, it’s all about “makin’ that dolla’”. Six figure dolla’ to be precise.

So why is it that such a simple question can have such a problematic response? My Uncle Bill always says, “Alex, you are practically an adult now. What in God’s name are you going to do with your life?” For years now I have had an automated response to this question: “I am going to be a pharmacist, like my daddy!” But is this truly what I want to be stuck with for the next 40 years? Maybe. But there are fifteen different jobs that I could also pursue- none of which involve snowboarding or basketball or any other sport for that matter. Life in the real world, unfortunately, is not about these things.

Then it hit me. The reason my brother and I live a privileged life is because of my parents. Our family has a great life because Mommy and Daddy got a good job. This all boils down to, in my mind, prove that in order to achieve the American Dream, one must be successful and make lots of money! Wow. That doesn’t seem right at all? But for me, sadly money is life. I understand that money cannot buy happiness, but for me, buying nifty toys makes me happier. I believe that I must snag a first-rate job, rake in the big bucks, and only then may I lead an enjoyable and prosperous life.