John - Paducah, Kentucky
Themes: Christianity

I believe in objective, absolute Truth. I came to this belief as a college student, immersed in an environment of relativism and situational ethics. My interactions with my peers and my academic work in political science and economics fit perfectly with this evolutionary, humanistic worldview that had man at the center of everything. Being told that all I needed to believe in was me and that I could find truth inside of me was music to my ears. My encounter with absolute truth was jarring and uncomfortable – the absolute truth found in the Bible and expressed in the Person of Jesus Christ. When, as a college sophomore, I came face-to-face with the Creator of the universe through the witness of my roommate, in Whom was hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge, my notions of right and wrong, good and bad were radically changed forever. Rather than having a self-made sense of truth, I understood that truth was a Person Who, because of His position as The Sovereign One, was the One I needed to know in order to live a life of fulfillment and service to my fellow human beings. The expression of His Truth in the Word, the Bible, transformed my thinking as I realized it was not merely great literature but life-sustaining bread. I remember the impact of this revelation on my scholarship; knowing that mankind was fallen and needed a Savior shaped my thinking on liberty, the role of government and the optimal economic system. More importantly, I met my future wife as we studied Milton’s “Paradise Lost” in an English literature course and I actively engaged my fellow students in the reality of the God of the Bible that had absolute standards and sure consequences to broken trust. That was over 32 years ago, and my relationship with Jesus, the Great Creator and my wife of 30 years has only deepened because of the reality that absolute truth not only exists, but can be known in such a real way through a relationship with the Great God, our Savior Jesus Christ.