I believe in peace.

Timothy - Buda, Texas
Themes: peace

I believe in peace. I’ve seen too many occasions where someone has completely flipped because they can’t remain calm about some of the stupidest things I have ever seen or heard in my short life.

It all started in my 1st grade year. I was hanging out with a few friends outside at recess. The sun was blaring; you could feel the hot Texas breeze blow through your hair. My friends and I were playing a few games of football just for fun to kill the time. We had just run a touchdown, and one of the opposing players lost his shoe on the field because my friend Travis accidently stepped on it.

The game finished so we started walking towards our homeroom teacher. We could see all of the kids running anxiously to the teachers as we made our slow approach from the other side of the field. Out of nowhere my friend flew in front of me landing on the ground, getting up rather quickly he peered at who had shoved him. I turned around too, out of pure curiosity, there standing not six inches from my friends face nose to nose was the kid who had gotten his shoe stepped on.

I could clearly see the anger rising in my friends face, knowing it was time to try and calm down what was about to turn into a fight I started to ask the person who pushed my friend why he did it, but before I could say anything in a flash my friends right hand was connected to the others face.

He dropped on the ground and started bawling.

I didn’t know what to do. He was just rolling around and bleeding. My friend didn’t know what to do either; he just kind of gazed away from the scene. I slowly turned to see where the teachers were, I didn’t have to look, and I already knew that the teachers would be rushing to the scene.

They rushed the kid who started the fight to the nurse, while my friend Travis and I were escorted to the office. I didn’t know what was going on at the time, but I was 6, so naturally I was worried about what kind of punishment I was about to endure for something I wasn’t even involved in.

We finally made it to the principal’s office and were bombarded with questions.

Why the fight had broken out, why someone’s nose was broken while my friend only had scrapes on his arms, why wasn’t I damaged, and finally after what felt like a millennium, before I could explain that I had nothing to do with this. They let me go, and from that day on I have believed in peace. Because if there isn’t peace, then there will be more problems than there ever were before.