Moving the poor souls on the side of the road

James - Buda, Texas

I believe in helping the poor souls on the side of the road. Moving the animals whose misfortune it was to cross paths with some type of vehicle and not have the strength to help themselves. If the streets aren’t to busy, I’ll get out of my truck and do the dirty work. It’s sort of like the Good Samaritan story you heard in Sunday school, bringing aid to those beat up or put down by others. If just one person would go up to them and hold out a hand and say, “I saw what happened and I can help you”.

Helping out really relaxes you, it makes you feel more content like those times you were the reason someone was stuck to the asphalt have been forgiven.

Looking into the eyes of a wounded animal or person with no remaining self respect really gets to you. You don’t want to walk away and think its not your problem.

Even if you are in a rush, slow down and take the time to care for one of gods creatures, get your hands dirty and forget about life for a while. Just the other day I was late to school because I stopped to care for a baby antelope that had been hit by a car, petting it and moving it into the soft grass to give it half a chance at life. I don’t necessarily mean go pick up road kill, I mean go make a new friend with the guy who just got beat up at school, go give that guy in the parking lot with a dead battery a jump or help him change his flat tire. If you’ve ever been the person who came to the rescue you know what its like, but to be the one being rescued is so much different. You are almost at a loss of words by how thankful you are that this person would drop everything and focus on you, who they may not even know, and tend to your personal problems. To feel like your crushed and broken bloody soul is being peeled off the asphalt and having new life breathed in.

That’s what it feels like to be one of the poor souls on the side of the road.