The Strength of a Smile

Bonnika - kyle, Texas

Strength of a Smile

“One, two, three smile!” Such a simple action, many people don’t consider the effects it has on others and themselves. A smile symbolizes happiness, joy, confidence. A good thought, funny joke, even an invitation to begin a conversation. When babies smile it warms the hearts of those who see the pure joy in their eyes. A smile can take away pain, sadness, even loneliness. Smiles also make people feel comforted and welcomed. With so many positives, I wonder why people don’t smile more often. Just like a nice word from a teacher, parent, or significant other, a smile can make you feel good. A quick grin from that guy in Algebra can make a person glow from the inside out. I should know, that’s what happens every time the guy from art class smiles at me.

No one really understands the impact a smile can have. It can mean the difference between a person taking away God’s most precious gift, or someone massacring their fellow peers at school. I often wonder if someone would have just smiled at those people who ruthlessly murdered the kids at Columbine and Virginia Tech, if the outcome would have been different.

The time a smile was important for me happened during my first year of high school. First day of school jitters get me every year. Shaky knees, sweaty palms, sweaty pits… it never ends! Freshman year was no different, as I walking past the varsity football team, the jitters caught me. I felt that any moment I’d pull a “Miss USA” and fall right on my bum! But what happened surprised me. The captain of the football team looked in my direction and shot me a quick smile. My heart skipped a few beats but I finally felt comfortable and welcomed. From that moment on my confidence grew and I was able to influence other shy girls who get the jitters to be confident in their own skin. And it all started with a smile.