Honesty

Miguel - buda tx 78610, Texas
Themes: integrity

Honesty

I believe in honesty. Today in the world it seems that many of our problems could be solved with a simple sentence “hey I’m sorry,” It was my fault,” or “I really did it.” I think it’s better to tell the truth when confronted about things than to lie and live with the guilt or even worse, to have the truth be revealed by the mouth of some one else and get caught in a lie. But what do you do when you see others getting to higher places with foundations made of lies whilst you are standing on a stepping stool made of truth?

In the academic rush of my sophomore year of high school we were given our class ranks .I had never fathomed that I would be at the top of the mountain but I really didn’t expect to be at the average hiker’s quitting point. I was in the top 25 percent but just barely. It angered me a bit but who actually wants to hear that they aren’t the best? Instead of sulking and taking on the disposition of a pit bull I took the rank as a big reality check of what I needed to get done in the next two years.

The work load that year became irritating but never insurmountable .I had started to go to the library during my lunch to complete my assignments that a little thing called sleep didn’t allow time for. I soon noticed that I wasn’t the only one many other sophomores also didn’t have time to do their homework. To my surprise I found out that that many of the people ahead of me in rank were the biggest cheaters. This did not sit well with me because there I was doing honest work a key element of society, while some people got ahead without having to use their brain. This really made me question the validity of the adage “cheaters never prosper”. I held true to my belief and didn’t cheat nor did I let anyone copy. Even though I was ridiculed for it I thought nothing of it because I know it will pay off some day. I never reported the cheating because of the simple fact that these were not bad people .I also didn’t want to ruin someone’s chances of having a good life because of an honor code violation on their record.

I know that one day I will be rewarded for my honesty but until then it’s a long wait for my ship to come in .Honesty of other people is something we shouldn’t take for granted we should cherish it ,because in a world that gets more cynical by the day it’s something to hold on to.