Let Imaginations Run Free

Elizabeth - Buda,TX, Texas

Knowledge is vital, but it is not the only key to an individual’s success. How did Leonardo DaVinci paint the Sistine Chapel? How did Sir Isaac Newton discover the laws of gravity? Not just with knowledge but with their creativity and their imaginative minds. I believe that creativity plays a significantly larger role than knowledge in the success of individuals and industries.

There was a point in my life as an elementary student when I was basically told that knowledge was everything. I would wake up every morning and dread my math class, for the fear of falling behind and being mocked by my own teacher. I was told “pay attention” and “well….we are all waiting for the answer Elizabeth.” I would sit in class and go home in tears most days. My mother caught my tears one day and not long after I was forced to tell her my dilemma. As furious as she was, she called a meeting with the teacher I most feared. She explained that I was young and bright and that this was the age when our imaginations should run free. More was most likely spilled from her mouth that day, but mother would never tell me the rest.

I had learned an important life lesson. That nobody can take your imagination from you, it is yours to keep and share with the world. As Albert Einstein once said, “Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited; imagination encircles that world.”