Amber - Kyle, Texas
Themes: fear, pleasure

This I believe: Taking Chances

I believe life is about taking chances. There is always going to be a risk you have to be willing to take.

It was a warm, breezy day and my family decided to take a trip to Schlitterbahn. The day was going good, the pool felt great, and the rides were a blast, but nothing made my heart jump like it did when I saw two young boys fly over my head yelling. As they swayed back my direction their faces were full of excitement. That look of joy gave me courage and I came to the decision that I, myself, would bungee jump that day.

As the straps went up my legs and around my waist, my stomach felt as though it would drop to the ground any second. I have never looked forward to do something that frightened me so much. As I stood behind the gate waiting for the lift operator to signal me over, a great level of anticipation rose inside me. It was finally my turn and I slowly walked on to the platform. The platform began to rise and I was now being attached to the bungee rope. Their final words to me were, ‘you don’t pull the cord until you see my wave. Good luck.” I was now being pulled higher and higher into the sky. I realized at that moment that my rope could easily snap, and lights out! At that point it was too late to back out. I finally reached the top. I towered over the entire theme park. I could not think nor speak. I hung there just dangling, and in shock.

I quickly received my cue to pull the cord. Within seconds I was falling straight to the ground. My insides completely dropped, and I let out a scream of joyful fear. The worst was over. I knew everything was going to be okay. In the end, I took a chance and conquered my ear. It was all worth it. I had second thought and did not know what this would all bring me after it was all said and done, but I did it and everything turned out fine.