Never Judge a Book By It’s Cover

Mackie - Buda, Texas
Themes: prejudice

Never judge a book by its cover. How would you know what it is about or if you would even like it or not? Would you share common interest with the character in the story? Well, shouldn’t the same concept when it comes to human interaction?

I believe one should have an open mind when it comes to seeing and meeting new people. Who knows; you could have an extreme dislike for someone, but little to your knowledge, something happens, and they quickly become best friends.

I have always been truly bad at placing stereotypes towards people and jumping to conclusions far too quickly. I would walk down the halls of my High school, criticizing, judging, and putting people into basic stereotypes. I would judge average people, classmates, teachers, and just everyone around me. Foe example, I would pass my peers in the halls, in which some of whom were really into video game playing, and was very passionate about what they do, and I would often refer to them as “geeks or nerds,” or I would see a man from a Hispanic decent and refer to them as “future burger flippers” when they grew up. However, I would not judge or criticize friend of family. If I saw a friend do something ridiculous or dumb or I saw one on my Hispanic friends acting differently, I wouldn’t thing twice about it. I didn’t show the same emotion towards my friend as I did with other people.

As apparent as this problem was, I didn’t recognize it until my 10th grade year of High school. There was this fellow class mate of mine that I had despised of. His name was Nick. I thought he was just a stuck-up, snotty, ratty, punk that was “way uncool”. But one day, he let me get in front of him in the extremely long lunch line. This was very nice of him. So I just got to thinking, “Wow. What a cool guy. I was really wrong about him.” So I started talking more and more to nick as be slowly started becoming friends. We shared stories, laughed and hung out-normal friend stuff. He turned out to be really into motocross, and I was really into motocross. It was like an instant spark. By the time school let out that summer we had rapidly became best friends. We spent the whole summer hanging out talking, going places together, and traveling all over the state racing motocross. We are best friends and we plan on keeping it that was for a long time.

This event has recently opened my eye; it has broadened my horizons to the fact that, most stereotypes are bad, and people have no right to be judged before meeting them. I believe everyone should be giving the chance to get to know one another before being judged. I believe everyone has a first chance. Because you never know who will turn out to be, your best friend.