Brittney - Kyle, Texas

This I believe

Having divorced parents is hard to accept, especially when you’re a teenager. I believe that every home should have a mom and a dad together, most teens with divorced parents become depressed, isolated from everyone else, or worse they become suicidal. Having divorced parents isn’t very fun when you know that there’s a very big chance they’re never coming back.

Around a year ago my dad left and that was the worst feeling ever, knowing that it would be a while before I would ever be able to see him. When he left, it felt like I had lost all hope, faith, happiness, and most of all, his love. When my mom came up stairs and told me, I didn’t want to believe that this was really happening to me. Before she could finish her sentence, I ran out of my room to my older sister’s room crying; I knocked on her door hard, as soon as she opened it, she grabbed me and hugged me really tight saying “it’s okay I understand what you’re going through.”

It was true, when she was about two, our mom left her dad, and my mom’s parents split when she was around three my grandparents divorced. Choosing which parent to live with is even harder, sometimes I want to go live with my dad, but if I did I would feel bad for leaving her. Even to this in my junior year it’s still tough.

I haven’t really seen my dad in a while , and not seeing really hurts. I feel what a lot of kids feel all over the U.S. Even though its been a year, it feels like forever. Going to two different homes every so often is hard, knowing that the other parent isn’t there. As for my mom it’s tough for her too emotionally, and mentally. Knowing my sister has lost now two fathers was twice as hard. I believe that if people get married, then they’re making a promise to each other and to God.

I believe that it’s not fair to just throw away a marriage over whatever. It’s not fair to leave the people you love and left with a major heart ache, this is what I believe.