The New Kid

Jacob - Kyle, Texas

The New Kid

When I was about ten I moved from Austin Texas to Saginaw. It was the summer of my fifth grade year, and I was a little hesitant about going to a new school. I had left all my friends to start a new life at a totally new place. I had always been a shy kid when I was little and always kept to myself. I remember when my family was first moving into our new house I saw a bunch of kids my age playing basketball in my neighborhood. I wanted to go and play with them, but at the same time being held back by my shyness. What if I trip? What if they laugh at how I dribble the ball? All of these thoughts went through my mind as I watched them play. Looking back now I don’t understand why I wouldn’t man up and go play with those kids. My school year would have been a lot easier if I had.

Summer dragged by and school was the next day. My parents dropped me of in a pack of chatting fifth-graders that morning. I looked back at my mom and she smiled at me. You would think that this would cheer me up, but as I turned around the crowd of kids seemed to turn into a nightmare. “What do I do now?” I said to myself. The custodians opened the glass doors to the school and a flood of talkative kids drowned the halls. The bell rang as if telling me the time of my impending doom. Well, maybe not doom…but still. As me and thirty other kids entered the cool classroom we all took our seats. The teacher had not come in to the room yet and my classmates continued to talk. “Hey, look it’s a new kid!” “Crap! They noticed me”, I remember thinking. I began to turn cherry red as thirty curious eyes focused their piercing gaze on me. “Who’s the new kid?” someone shouted. “Hey kid what’s your name?” “Um…Um I’m from Austin”, I said ignorantly. “What new kids cant talk?” someone said. I stared at the ground, and everyone started laughing. By this time I already hated school and the first day wasn’t even over yet!

Two weeks went by and I finally began to make friends. It was a slow process all because I didn’t have confidence in myself enough to talk! I believe that everyone should have confidence in themselves. Everyone has something interesting to say and add to our world. Don’t be shy! It is a lot easier to cope with life if you have friends. I had to learn this the hard way, and I will never be too shy to talk again.