The American Dream Is Real

Jefferson - USA

The American Dream is the foundation upon which America is built. The Dream tells the citizens of this nation that any dream is achievable, but you must be willing to work hard and makes sacrifices. The American Dream inspires hope in everyone to reach for his or her goals, and it is in this that I believe.

For as long as I can remember, my parents have talked about how wonderful this nation is because of all the opportunities made available for its citizens. No two people have demonstrated the legitimacy of the American Dream to me better than my parents.

My parents immigrated to the United States in the 1980’s from the Cape Verde Islands, a nation that most Americans have never heard of. My parents left Cape Verde in search of the opportunities that make America famous around the world. Their dream was to provide their children with a more comfortable lifestyle and more opportunities than they had as children.

My father left behind his wife and six children at the time in Cape Verde in 1980. When my father arrived in America, he had to start his life anew and learn a new language while only having his cousin to help him through these times. During the ‘80’s my father worked 16-hour days in order to save up enough to bring over one of my siblings at a time. Meanwhile, my mother stayed in Cape Verde taking care of her children and working as a teacher. In 1989, my parents and my siblings were able to successfully reunite for the first time in almost a decade. In this same year I was born becoming my family’s symbol of the American Dream. My parents continued to work tirelessly to move themselves from renting a three-bedroom apartment to owning a three family home.

My parents have shown me that the American dream is real. Everyday I am willing to work as hard as needed to make my dreams come true. No obstacle is too great to prevent me from reaching my goal. Whenever I feel as if my goal is out of my reach, I think of my parents who pushed on while things really got tough. From my parent’s story, I have seen that hard work will always pays off in the form of being able to one day reach one’s goal. My long nights studying in high school has paid off in me being able to attend a prestigious university like Syracuse University, the biggest goal I have achieve in my life. The feeling of accomplishing a dream is the most rewarding feeling there is. By knowing my hard work will pay off has a great impact on shaping the person I am today. I have become a determined and motivated citizen of the U.S. willing to inspire others to believe in the American Dream.