Power to the Dogs

Kayla - Kyle, Texas

I believe that dogs should be more appreciated. Even after a long, challenging day at Jack C. Hays, I find my brick house and many chores to be a little less inviting. That is, until I walk inside. I have a welcoming party that awaits me. A party filled with a lot of kisses, adoration, and leaps of joy. Most of the time, I hardly return my puppies the love. Most days I’ll give them a little baby talk. Other days, a couple pats on the head. One thing I’ve noticed is that no matter how lame my attention was each and every day, my dogs never failed to treat me like a god.

There’s been plenty of sad, lonely days that the only company I would tolerate it that of my dogs. They don’t judge me, or make fun of me, or tell me my feelings are stupid. I know that they don’t understand my problems, but it’s the fact that they always know and sense that something is wrong and when comforting is desperately needed. I think they even try to take my mind off my sadness.

I’ll be sitting in my chair watching TV and all of a sudden, there’s a fat fluffy creature sitting in my lap staring a hole in me. He’ll lay down along side me and rest his head on top of my knee. I know he’s not tired, but he acts like he’s falling asleep. I can see and feel how compassionate he is by how close he tries to lay next to me. Enjoying my warmth and my company. He didn’t have to sit next to me, he practically has a more comfortable bed than mine, but he chose to because he felt like I could use a little extra love.

I think my puppies deserve a little more attention than they’re receiving. Don’t get me wrong, my dogs are spoiled! But dogs want the love and appreciation of their humans over toys and treats any day. Next time I come home tired and lazy from school, I think I’m going to muster up the little energy that remains in me to double the pats on the head, foolishly talk like a baby to my babies, and even maybe throw in a few hugs and squeezes. After all, my dogs do need to know they’re appreciated.