It’s all because of one word

Carley - Kyle/Tx/78640, Texas

Peace. Peace is not just a sign, a symbol, or a word. It’s a way of life. This is what people preach, the way they live, and how they act. This word is just as powerful as the word war.

Silence is golden. People sometimes speak before thinking. I’m not saying that it’s wrong, but if it’s towards someone negatively. It could hurt. Listen to all the gossip, to what’s being said. How much of that is negative? Probably most of it right. I bet if you went a day without talking and only when needed to. Some of you might find peace. Now I’m sure most of you are probably saying how boring that sounds; but as a kid my pastor once told us, “If you are bored. You are a boring person.” Even until this day I believe this philosophy to be so. Live in the moment. Silence is golden.

Patience is key. Waiting takes time, time takes patience, and patience takes peace. I feel as though you have all the time in the world. Don’t rush it. Teachers may not call on you, but that doesn’t mean you won’t get picked. Yeah I know it’s a pain to have your hand in the air for 6 minutes, but she’ll call on you. You may not be the first but at least you have had success. It makes you a happier person by waiting than when it does if you’re waving you hand frivolously in the air shouting out. All that does is make the teacher gripe and grime after your point is a crossed. You’d be sitting foolishly in your seat thinking that could’ve been handled differently. Patience is key.

Nice brings joy. “If you don’t have anything nice to say; don’t say anything at all.” That’s a phrase I’m sure most have heard. Even until this day, it’s so very true. If some people speak down on you in a negative way, let it go through one ear and out the other. My best friend Eric told me, “don’t believe the hype.” And as cheesy as that sounds, that’s life. People are going to say not so nice things about you or even to you. It’s how you deal with it. Whether is be positive or negative. Nice brings joy.

Happiness makes smiles. Okay my first time at the beach, which happened to be when I was going to my junior year, I rode this thing called the Wave. It’s a trolley thing that goes on a route and you get off and on as you please. I was with a friend and just happened to be laughing really hard, and I made a couple other people laugh. And just by smiling and keeping such joy, even though I was in an unfamiliar town, I made others smile. That to me made me happy. Happiness makes smiles.

You can find peace anywhere, whether you are silent, patient, nice, or happy. You’ve got it. Soon this world would turn the power of war, to the power of love.