Who You Know

Noah - Hopewell, New Jersey

Each and every day, we encounter a vast amount of people, yet we do not realize what a profound effect this has upon our lives. Not too long ago, I came to the conclusion that I, and I alone am fully capability of determining my future and what happens in that future. Whether it is friends, family, or strangers that I have interacted with, I slowly began to realize how important these connections are in my life.

By taking advantage of these opportunities and working to gain a positive impact upon your life from these people can lead to a much more successful or constructive life. Essentially, I believe that how successful one can be in life is directly determined (in the majority of cases) by the people that they know. The relations that we formulate throughout our lives can either have a negative or positive implications and it is up to us to determine how beneficial these people are. I for one see certain relationships as opportunities to reach a specific dream of mine, either faster than I had imagined previously or simply just giving me the necessary boost to continue.

After I stepped into the social environment that many people would deem the “business world” a few summers ago, I was confronted with the idea that to rise in status at a quicker pace than the average man, that person must be connected in some way to higher “powers”. These forces that command the so-called “business world” appear to favor people that they know on a personal level, thereby allowing said persons to gain status at an accelerated level.

During my time working through various jobs and internships, I have made friends with many influential people, but none serve as personal as my father and his business relations as well as a very old friend’s father. My friend’s father has recently been established as the president of a large pharmaceutical company that my father also has connections in. After getting in touch with said friend’s father, I was able to secure a cover letter and eventually was given a heavily competitive internship at this company. To summarize, I would have had a close to nil chance of obtaining this internship had it not been for the people I know and their generous desire to help someone close to them. Truthfully, I may not have been the most qualified applicant, but simply by knowing who I knew, I was capable of gaining this position.

This event helped enlighten me to the realization that I may in fact be able to achieve my dream of heading up a large corporation. I had always thought it was easy to overcome the principle fact that to be successful in this world, apart from an anomaly or two, it all boils down to who you know and how people perceive you, yet time and time again I have been proven wrong. Eventually I decided to settle down and accept this principle, and although it may not always be correct, this seems to be a strong trend in the 21st century. Even something as simple as acquiring something such as tickets to a Bruce Springsteen concert requires that you “know people”.

Generally people who are more successful in life have strong connections with influential people, and unfortunately I have come to the realization that the world is not necessarily fair, and life is really based upon who you know with a pinch of luck and a dash of chance thrown in.