Always Show Kindness

John - Kyle, Texas

Always Show Kindness

I believe that the kindness of strangers is important. Showing kindness to the waiter at restaurant, cashier at the mall, everyone.

In 7th grade I was in the hospital because I was very very ill. I was scared of everything. Scared of all the new places, the new smells. I didn’t even get to use my own comfortable pajamas like I do at home. All alone in a cold sanitary hospital room. I only had the kindness of a young medical student who donated every second of his time to me. Fluffed my pillow, opened my water bottles, and salted my french fries. He didn’t need to, but he did. He brought me gifts and stuff to read. He remembered all the things I liked and would bring them to me all the time. He would always check on me before he left for the night and always make sure that I was very comfortable.

Although I have always thought of this, it has affected me personally. It has shaped the way I treat people today. Another thought of this is the Golden rule. Treat everyone the way you want to be treated. Respect the newly hired waiter and understand what he goes through even if you in a hurry or impatient. Some people just don’t understand that kindness isn’t hard. It’s just about understanding and forgiving. Even if you don’t personally know or even care for them, you still can show kindness to everyone you come in contact with.

Some people just don’t think about being nice anymore. Whether it’s fluffing a pillow or getting off of your cell phone to say thank you to the store clerk. Even the medical student working for my mother four years later still asks about me and wonders where I am at today.

Another example of this is just recently I got my learner’s permit and was driving with my family to the store and I was entering the highway. As I started to merge, an 18-wheeler wouldn’t let me merge. He sped up and didn’t let me get on the highway. It made my whole family panic. I was able to speed up and get safely onto the highway. But how much would it take for the man to slow down or move over.

Which brings me back to my med student. It’s been four years and he has came back to work for my mom and its amazing how much two sentences can show so much kindness.