Choosing Life

Julie - Pittsburgh
Themes: birth

I believe that everyone has a right to life, especially the unborn. For as long as most of us can remember, our parents, teachers and grandparents have been telling us that we can be anything we want to be when we grow up. We live in a country of opportunity so it only makes sense to dream big. In first grade I wanted to be the first woman president, and best friend wanted to be a doctor to the poor people in Africa. For most of us, the logic follows that since we have only a lifetime to live on this earth, we might as well do something we really want to while we’re here.

I understand that being pregnant can be a figurative bullet through some women’s best-laid plans. I understand why a pregnant woman can feel that it is unfair for her to ruin her life by having a baby. Maybe it’s a bad time in her life, she’s no long with the baby’s father, or her family won’t support her. But the truth of the matter is, the baby inside her only has one life to live too.

My friends tell me all the time, “If I ever got pregnant, my family would disown me! They’d stop paying for college; I would be a disappointment to them. I could never accomplish anything that I wanted to.” Then I give them my most convincing pro-life argument. I tell my friends that my birth mother was in the same position 20 years ago. I ask them to imagine if she would have chosen to have an abortion rather than give me up for adoption. It would have been easier, less expensive, and less painful. I tell them to imagine if I had never been born.

Abortion kills doctors, artists, researchers, priests, volunteer workers, teachers, husbands, and wives…. Can you really kill a child that may grow up to cure cancer because you want your life to go in a different direction? I believe that choosing life is a matter of humility. I believe that to choose life, you are recognizing that you are not the most important person in the world, but that your baby could be.

For me, being pro-life is part of a “pay it forward” ideology. I believe that because my mother chose life for me, no matter what the circumstances, I will choose life if I get pregnant.