Your Word is Your Bond

Jordan - Buda, Texas

I believe that in life, your word is your bond. How many times have you told someone “I will call you later” or “I will be there at three”, only to show up late or not do it at all? These things, while seeming like no big problem, shape you as a person. Without keeping your word, you are nothing, and no one can think of you as a person of good character for every time you say you are going to do something, they simply think, “Yeah, that’s what you always say. You’re a liar.”

Growing up as a child, my dad taught me to, “Say what you mean, and mean what you say, your word is your bond.” Being only six, I did not fully understand this simple, yet complicated life lesson from a father to his son. As I grew older, I began to see how many people around me did not do what they said they were going to do. When it comes to family events such as a family reunions, family dinners, or even birthday parties, my aunt (let’s just call her Mary for now) seems to never show up on time. Now, I’m not talking about a mere five or ten minutes, I am talking about an hour, sometimes two. My Aunt Mary, numerous times, has said she’ll be at the party or the dinner at the exact starting time, even saying she’ll be there ten minutes early only to show up late once again. Now this can happen once or twice without becoming a problem but after the fortieth time, it becomes outright ridiculous. I now do not trust my aunt when it comes to showing up at a certain time. If I need her to pick me up at four, I know I better just pick a comfy spot to sit down because I know she won’t be on time. I believe that keeping your word is extremely important and makes you a better person. People won’t even think twice when you say you’ll do something because they know you’ll do it. Why? Because you said so.

As I continue to progress through the years, I put into action what my father had attempted to teach me at such a young age. Whether with my friends or family, when I tell them I’m going to do something I make sure that I do it, no matter what. Now, at age sixteen, my friends and family have no problem trusting me when I say I will do something. As you live your life, you should always do what you say. Not only does that build trust in the people around you, but it builds great character as well. As I grow older I will do as I say, and when I have children I will teach them this life lesson that was taught to me at such a young age.