Criticism

Ariana - Buda, Texas

I believe that everyone should expect criticism, take it, and use it as a positive. I believe that you should never take what somebody says the wrong way. Take the negative and turn it into a positive. I’ve been criticized most of my life. To me, ever since I moved from Baltimore, my family has a problem with what I do or the way I live.

I spent half the summer with my grandmother and all she wanted to do was talk about the type of things I like to do, why I do this, why I think like that. So I thought about it, why is she so worried about me, she needs to stay out my business. Then I thought about it the positive way, she’s my grandmother, she been through it already, everything she does is for the best.

Then she criticized my mother, telling me I need to be my own person, I’m not my mother, I shouldn’t try to be like her. Again I’m thinking, why is she talking about my mama, this is your child, stop talking about her. So I thought about the positive, she’s my grandmother, she’s been through it already, everything she does is for the best. And that’s all I could really say. What I did with all my grandmother’s criticism was broaden my horizons and open my mind to new things this school year.

Now there’s my auntie. She hates the way I dress. She thinks that I have no since of style. She always says I dress too grown, or I’m too young for this and that. This is what I think, you don’t buy my clothes, I don’t live with you, you don’t have to see me wear it, get off my case, I’m 16! Then I thought about the positives, she has a point, I shouldn’t look too grown for my age, and it kind of draws the wrong kind of attention. I should enjoy being a child and I should enjoy the somewhat freedom I have while I can. Once again, she’s my auntie, she been through it already, everything she does is for the best.

Last but not least my mother. She thinks that I am the type of person who wants to do so much and get so much, but doesn’t want to do the work to get it. I thought about that. She’s right I do come off that way. But that just is telling me that I need to change my attitude so it won’t come off the wrong way. Then, it could have been her fault because she just read me the wrong way.

Out of all the criticism I’ve had in my life, I’ve managed to turn it around to make it seem positive and not take it the wrong way. Taking it the wrong way creates negativity, and nobody needs that in their life.