Treat Others the Way You Want to be Treated

Andrew - Alexandria, Virginia

A personal philosophy that I try to live my life by is to treat others the way you would want to be treated, and in doing so you will be rewarded with how others treat you. While saying that I try to live my life by the “Golden Rule” is kind of cliché, it is […]

A personal philosophy that I try to live my life by is to treat others the way you would want to be treated, and in doing so you will be rewarded with how others treat you. While saying that I try to live my life by the “Golden Rule” is kind of cliché, it is definitely true after going through 20 years of experiences and realizing just how valuable it can be to treat others how you would hope to be treated. People have questioned this rule over time, saying that it depends on the situation. For example, what about a man going into a bar looking for a fight? He wants to be in a fight, so should he treat someone that way hoping to get what he wants in return? My philosophy, however, is that there isn’t really a personal belief that could fit everyone in the world; this one can fit most people however.

If people were to not treat each other with respect and dignity, it would lead to a loss in motivation, trust and confidence. When you treat others with the kind of respect that you would like to be treated with, you help give them the opportunity to give them the chance to be the best possible person they can. If you treat others how you would want to be treated, it will be very apparent that people will like being around you and helping you out in situations, since they know that you would do the same for them.

If I were to provide a real-life situation of how this has positively affected my life, I would use from this past summer as an example. I was trying to get an internship with the PGA Tour and had to go down to Atlanta on two separate occasions for interviews. Growing up in Virginia, I have been raised to say “Yes ma’am” and “no sir” and just treat others with respect at all times, especially your elders, and this was very evident during my interviews, both over the phone and in person. When I would be in the interview, I was honest and open and respectful at all times, and after they hired me, they said one of the reasons why was because of how I treated the staff with such respect when I was down there.

Another example of how this personal belief helped me high school deals with some difficult work which we encountered in writing class. I do not consider myself the smartest person in the world, but writing is definitely my strongest point. We had a paper due and could keep re-writing it to get the grade up. This girl, who I had never met in my life, kept re-writing it and getting the same grade and was visibility upset and frustrated. I offered to help her with her paper, but not write it for her. Just maybe clarify some sentences and use better grammar, etc. We re-wrote her paper together and she ended up getting an A-.The next year, we were in Biology together, and since she is currently a Bio major in college, she offered to help me study since I was miserable at Biology. This is just a small example of how treating others the way I would want to be treated has worked out for me.

If you treat others the way you want to be treated, you will be respected and that is the ultimate goal in life.